Jazmine has always loved trying to write her letters, and basically taught herself. She came to me one day last year after having written out her entire alphabet. She asked me if she forgot any letters, and well, I was so shocked I almost couldn't answer her. After picking my jaw up off the ground I was able to gather my thoughts and help her with a couple backwards letters.
I strongly feel that forcing anything upon a child will ultimately backfire. I learned years ago that Isaac is his own child, not his sister. So while he would rather be flooding my bathroom, climbing trees, taking things apart to try to put back together, I do my best to look at the learning in those moments. (Not going to lie....you can only have a teaching moment with a flooded bathroom so many times before the last shred of patience is lost on that topic...lol.)
Just recently Isaac is finally interested in writing. He has mastered the letter "I" and writes it on whatever he colors on. It's absolutely adorable his new-found passion for the letter "I". For the rest of the letters, well, he will enjoy about 5 minutes a day of tracing time. I found a couple of cool websites where I can make custom tracing pages for them, and both kids LOVE it. I write stories for Jaz (like "once upon a time" type stuff) and Isaac just wants to do his name. Here are a couple pics of the kids enjoying writing time.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Writing 101
Posted by Jenn at 3:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
This is so fun & creative!
Post a Comment