Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Isaac update

My little man gets so very sick off of just the common cold. He gets super congested and can't breathe. And every time he gets a cold, his congestion and inability to breathe gets progressively worse with each cold. Both children have colds right now, but by Sunday night Isaac was having such a hard time breathing I almost took him to the ER. The only reason I didn't was because he was actually sleeping for the first time in a week and I didn't want to wake him up. (Bad mommy, I know.)

Anyway, first thing Monday AM we took him to the doctor. (I'll leave that drama part of the story out.) The doctor said that there is no way a HEALTHY set of lungs would get that bad after two days of a cold. After I told him about Isaac's history, he said he has no doubt it's asthma. And I have actually mentioned asthma to previous docs and they said no. (They wouldn't even really discuss it with me.) So he was given an oral steroid right there in the office to try to get him immediately breathing better, and was prescribed two inhalers. A daily one he takes twice a day until they decide he is healthy enough to go to only once a day, and then a "rescue" inhaler which he is currently taking three to four times a day with this cold.

It sucks knowing that the family history of asthma got passed on to my son, and it is even worse when I have to hold him down kicking and screaming all the time to give him his inhaler doses with the mouthpiece. But I take great comfort in the fact that at least we know what the problem is and can now be prepared for anything that may come up.

3 comments:

We 5 Peas said...

:( :( :( I'm so so sorry. Start giving him tons and tons of vitamin C and D so his immune system will HOPEFULLY get better. Poor little guy! And poor mommy!!


Oh, and I LOVE your blog!!!

Cara said...

Oh no! But like you said, at least you know what you are up against. My Isaac, I hope you are feeling better baby! And Jenn, NEVER call yourself a bad mommy, you are one of the best I know!

Lace said...

Awww.... That stinks! I hope they feel better soon!